David A. Cockrell, O.D.
Dr. David Cockrell is passionate about the field of Optometry and about shaping its future so that it benefits not only his patients, but also patients all throughout the country. He is nationally recognized by his peers, has held many leadership positions and has received numerous awards for his efforts. He is driven by his passion to care for his patients by making their eyes as healthy as they can be.
Dr. David Cockrell completed his Bachelor’s degree in Zoology at Oklahoma State University and received his Doctor of Optometry degree from Southern College of Optometry. He and Dr. Cherry Cockrell opened their practice in Stillwater, which became known as COCKRELL EYECARE CENTER.
Present Leadership Roles
- American Optometric Association Advocacy Chair Federal and State Legislation
- Oklahoma State Board of Examiners in Optometry, where he has served since 1996 as a member and in all officer positions, including President
- He and all of the doctors at Cockrell Eyecare Center serve as Eyecare consultants to the Oklahoma State Athletic Department
- Optometry Cares, Founding Board Member
- Recognized National Lecturer
Dr. Cockrell has lectured throughout the United States on primary eyecare topics and has provided professional testimony to U.S. Senate Committees, the Oklahoma Senate and House of Representatives, as well as to many other U.S. State legislative and administrative bodies.
- Oklahoma Association of Optometric Physicians, Member
- American Optometric Association (Past President)
- American Board of Optometry Diplomate (Past Chairman)
- American Public Health Association – Vision Section, Member
Past Leadership Positions
- American Optometric Association Board of Trustees, President
- American Optometric Association, Board of Trustees
- American Board of Optometry, Chairman
- Oklahoma Association of Optometric Physicians, President
- Southwest Council of Optometry, Member and Past President
Professional Honors and Award Recognition
- American Optometric Association National Hall of Fame Inductee
- Oklahoma Association of Optometric Physicians Distinguished Service Award (2012)
- Oklahoma Optometric Team of the Century
- Optometrist of the Year, Oklahoma Association of Optometric Physicians
Dr. Cockrell has also been active in the community, having served on the Board of Directors for the Stillwater Rotary Club, as a Charter Member and Past President of Stillwater Group Homes, and as a Director of the Stillwater Chamber of Commerce. He has also served on the Stillwater Public Education Foundation and has held many volunteer positions in youth sporting activities in the community. He has most recently served as member and Chairman of the Stillwater Regional Airport Authority and as a member of the Stillwater Medical Foundation.
He is married to Dr. Cherry B. Cockrell, and they have two grown children.