David A. Cockrell, O.D.
Dr. David Cockrell is passionate about the field of Optometry and about shaping its future so that it benefits not only his patients, but also patients all throughout the country. He is nationally recognized by his peers, has held many leadership positions and has received numerous awards for his efforts. He is driven by his passion to care for his patients by making their eyes as healthy as they can be.
Dr. David Cockrell completed his Bachelor’s degree in Zoology at Oklahoma State University and received his Doctor of Optometry degree from Southern College of Optometry. He and Dr. Cherry Cockrell opened their practice in Stillwater, which became known as COCKRELL EYECARE CENTER.
Present Leadership Roles
- American Board of Optometry, Diplomate and Past Chairman
- Oklahoma State Board of Examiners in Optometry, where he has served since 1996 as a member and in all officer positions, including President
- He and the other doctors at Cockrell Eyecare Center serve as eyecare consultants to the Oklahoma State Athletic Department
- Optometry Cares, Founding Board Member
Recognized National Lecturer
Dr. Cockrell has lectured throughout the United States on primary eyecare topics and has provided professional testimony to the Oklahoma Senate and House of Representatives, as well as to many other U.S. State legislative and administrative bodies.
- Oklahoma Association of Optometric Physicians, Member and Past President
- Southwest Council of Optometry, Member and Past President
- American Optometric Association, Board of Trustees
- Fellow of the American Academy of Optometry, Fellow
- American Public Health Association – Vision Section, Member
- American Board of Optometry, Past Chairman
Past Awards and Leadership Positions
- American Optometric Association Board of Trustees, Past President
- Oklahoma Association of Optometric Physicians Distinguished Service Award (2012)
- Oklahoma Optometric Team of the Century (2000)
- Outstanding “Optometrist of the Year” in Oklahoma (1996)
- Heart of America OD of theYear
Dr. Cockrell has also been active in the community, having served on the Board of Directors for the Stillwater Rotary Club, as a Charter Member and Past President of Stillwater Group Homes, and as a Director of the Stillwater Chamber of Commerce. He has also served on the Stillwater Public Education Foundation and has held many volunteer positions in youth sporting activities in the community. He has most recently served as member and Chairman of the Stillwater Regional Airport Authority and currently serves on the Stillwater Medical Foundation.
He is married to Dr. Cherry B. Cockrell, and they have two grown children.
Contact us today at (405) 372-1715.